Signs and Symptoms of a Ruptured Breast Implant
Whether filled with silicone or saline, breast implants are designed to be durable but breast implants are NOT lifetime devices. There is always a risk that an implant will rupture or deflate but implants are more likely to rupture the longer you have them., It is wise to understand the signs and symptoms of a rupture so that you can quickly identify any problems with your implants and seek proper care.
What Causes Breast Implant Rupture?
Before diving into the symptoms of a ruptured implant, let’s clarify another important topic: The potential causes of a breast implant rupture. While many different factors may cause a breast implant rupture, the most common include:
- The gradual development of folds or wrinkles in the implant shell
- Impact of pressure on the breast
- Chest injury or trauma
- Damage caused by surgical instruments during the breast augmentation procedure
By choosing a highly experienced plastic surgeon like Dr. Mosiello at Tampa Palms Plastic Surgery, you can be advised of the risk factors for implant rupture and you can be well informed about the signs and symptoms of implant rupture.
Breast Implant Rupture: Signs and Symptoms
Some common signs and symptoms of breast implant rupture include:
- Change in breast size or shape
- Increased breast firmness
- Heightened breast sensitivity
- Tingling or burning sensation
A “silent rupture” is when a silicone implant rupture doesn’t trigger evident symptoms. To check for silent ruptures, MRI screenings are recommended by the FDA 3 years after the initial breast augmentation surgery, as well as 2 years after the first screening.
If you have breast implants, check your breasts regularly for lumps and changes in size or shape. If you notice any changes, schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon for a professional inspection.
To learn more about breast implant rupture, schedule an appointment with Dr. Mosiello at Tampa Palms Plastic Surgery.
Last 5 posts in Breast Augmentation
- Tampa Palms Plastic Surgery - April 22nd, 2022
- How Breast Augmentation Helps With Overall Breast Symmetry - February 10th, 2022
- Why Winter is the Best Time for Breast Augmentation- Even in Tampa! - December 20th, 2021
- Saline vs. Silicone Implants - July 20th, 2021
- What You Can Expect from Breast Implant Removal Surgery - July 10th, 2021