Sclerotherapy is the injecting of a sclerosing agent into a vein with a small neeedle to cause vein closure. Sclerotherapy may improve the appearance of uncomplicated varicose veins and spider veins, causing fading or complete resolution. This is a cosmetic procedure, not billable to insurance. The treatment is administered in a series of 2-6 visits, each lasting 30-45 minutes, scheduled 3-4 weeks apart. The treatment IMPROVES the appearance of veins it does not PERFECT the appearance. Complicated veins and some spider veins may not respond to treatment at all and may require another type of treatment such as laser. Sclerotherapy is an affordable procedure which enhances your appearance and self-confidence and requires no down time.
Tampa Palms Plastic Surgery offers the cosmetic treatment of uncomplicated varicose veins 3 mm or less and spider veins 1 mm or less. You will need to have a consultation to determine if you are the right candidate for this procedure. We do not treat bulging veins as there may be an underlying medical condition that should be evaluated by you primary care doctor or a vein specialist/vascular doctor.
What is Asclera (Polidocanol) and how does it work?
Asclera, a sclerosing agent, is a prescription medication which can only be administered by healthcare professionals. Asclera is indicated for the treatment of two types of veins: uncomplicated varicose veins no greater than 3 mm in diameter AND spider veins less than 1 mm in diameter. Asclera works by irritating the vein walls and causing closure of the vein resulting in full resolution of the vein or improvement in the appearance with fading. Asclera is the safest vein treating agent with the least amount of side effects. This agent offers minimal discomfort and is less painful than laser or treatment with hypertonic saline.
What to Expect
- Minimal to mild pain at the treatment site.
- Itching and small welts may occur immediately after treatment but clear within 15-30 minutes.
- Bruising which typically resolves in 3 weeks or less.
- Veins WILL LOOK WORSE before they look better. They will appear red and darker blue but should improve in 3-4 weeks.
- A temporary hard tender knot may develop but will resolve with time. If needed, the area will be treated at the next visit.
- Temporary brownish discoloration of the treatment area that will fade over time.
- You may need to reschedule plans for events that require shorts, swimsuits or dresses.
- Many people will have significant improvement in the look of their veins but there is no guarantee that treatment will be effective in every case and individual results will vary.
- You will need to be patient with your body as the results are not instant and it takes time for improvement to be noticed.